Frequently Asked Questions

What classes should I take in high school?

It is important that you have a strong background in science to prepare you for the pre-professional requisite courses. Taking high school biology, chemistry, and physics is strongly advised. Courses in math and communication are also recommended.

Does your program offer direct entry admission?

Yes. If you are a high school senior and wish to be considered for Direct Entry (DE) admission into the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program, you should submit an undergraduate application to the University by November 1st and answer the PT Program’s essay question. Once you are fully accepted to the university, you will receive an email invitation to schedule a virtual interview.

DE candidates will be selected for admission utilizing weighted high school GPA, extracurricular activities, and their interview.

  • We recommend that you increase your knowledge of the PT profession through independent exploration and observations prior to submitting your direct entry application.
  • If you are chosen for direct entry, a seat will be reserved for you in the DPT Program if you meet of all of these requirements during undergraduate years.
If I am not direct entry, what are some of the advantages in attending UE for my bachelor’s degree?

There are many advantages for completing your bachelor's degree at UE.

  • UE provides a strong undergraduate curriculum and nurturing environment.
  • The average class size for undergraduate classes is 18, and the student to faculty ratio is 13:1.
  • You will have the opportunity to join the PT Club as a freshman.
  • You will be assigned a physical therapy advisor in addition to your undergraduate advisor.
  • You will receive extra points during the selection process for course work completed at UE. The points will be added to your total score achieved during the selection process.
  • You have the opportunity to study abroad at Harlaxton for a full academic semester or a five week summer session depending on your selected undergraduate track.
How many hours of physical therapy observation do I need?

If you are a high school student considering a career in physical therapy, we encourage you to increase your knowledge of the profession through independent exploration. This will help you decide if a career in physical therapy is right for you. As an undergraduate pre-professional student, you must complete a minimum of 40 hours of physical therapy observation if you are on the 3+3 track or 60 hours if you pursue the 4+3 track. At least two types of settings must be represented in the total hours. Keep records of your experiences in terms of the names of facilities, hours worked, dates, the names of the physical therapists observed, and the types of patients observed.

What can I do to increase my chances of being admitted into the DPT program?

The selection committee is looking for well-rounded students who have exposure and understanding of the physical therapy profession, a strong academic background and good communication skills. Therefore, you should be involved in campus activities and organizations, obtain knowledge of the physical therapy profession through independent exploration and excel in the classroom.

What is the average GPA for those students accepted into the PT program?

The average cumulative GPA is 3.6/4.0. The average prerequisite science and math GPA is 3.4/4.0.

How many freshmen come to the University of Evansville for physical therapy?

Approximately 65 freshmen enter the University each year with the intent to pursue physical therapy.

How many applications do you receive for the DPT Program?

Approximately 300 applications are received each year.

How many students do you admit into the DPT Program each year?

We admit 50 students each year.

How do you select students for the program?

The student's overall GPA, prerequisite science and math GPA, exposure to and understanding of the physical therapy profession, campus involvement, commitment to learning, history of leadership, letters of recommendation, and strong writing and interpersonal skills are taken into consideration by the selection committee when selecting students for the DPT program.

Do I need to take the Graduate Records Exam (GRE)?

UE DPT Program does not require GRE scores as part of our application requirements.

Where are UE's clinical sites, including international sites?

UE has partnerships with over 260 clinical facilities across the United States and internationally in Belize, England, Italy, Switzerland, and Taiwan. Students also have the opportunity to practice clinical skills in the Ace CARE PT clinic on campus.

May I study abroad at Harlaxton in England?

If you are on the 3+3 track (three years of undergraduate study, three years professional DPT program) you may have the opportunity to study at Harlaxton for a five week summer session. If you pursue the 4+3 track (four years undergraduate study, three years professional program) you may have the opportunity to study abroad for a full academic semester or a five week summer session. The Harlaxton study abroad opportunity is available to undergraduate students only. Study abroad clinical opportunities may be available to professional students.

May I participate in Division I athletics?

Students who participate in Division I athletics should pursue the 4+3 track (4 years of undergraduate study, 3 years of professional course work). Five years of undergraduate course work may be necessary for athletic training majors.

What is the difference between PT and PTA in terms of the programs and the professional roles?

The physical therapist is the professional and makes the decisions relative to patient care. The assistant provides more of the hands-on care and is considered a paraprofessional.

What is the difference between physical therapy and occupational therapy?

Physical therapists concentrate on the patient's ability to move and the movement dysfunctions which can develop after the body is injured. Occupational therapists help increase the patient's ability to perform activities of daily life such as returning to home or work after an injury.

What are the areas of specialty within the field?

Areas of specialty include orthopedics, pediatrics, neurologic treatment, sports medicine, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, biomechanics, and electrophysiology. The University prepares graduates for general practice. Specialization and advanced degrees are available for practicing clinicians.

What is the job market like for physical therapists?

PT employment is expected to grow by 17% through 2031, according to the US Bureau of Labor 2022 report.

Where do physical therapists practice?

Physical therapists provide care for people in a variety of settings, including hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, home health agencies, schools, sports and fitness facilities, work settings, and nursing homes.

Can I complete the DPT program on a part-time basis?

The DPT Program is a three year full-time commitment. We do not offer a part-time option.