The University of Evansville offers a variety of outstanding instrumental and vocal ensemble experiences. Our ensembles have performed at venues like Carnegie Hall and been recognized through invited performances by the American Choral Directors Association, College Band Directors National Association, Indiana Music Education Association, and the Elmhurst Jazz Festival. All ensembles perform concerts both on and off campus throughout the year.
UE Ensemble opportunities include:
- University Choir, Choral Society, Women’s Chorus, Kantorei
- UE’s Schmidt Opera Series
- University Symphony Orchestra, String Ensemble
- Wind Ensemble, University Band, Athletic Bands
- Jazz Ensembles I and II
- Wind, String, and Percussion Chamber Ensembles
Music is an integral part of the University's commitment to a liberal arts education. We welcome and encourage students from all other disciplines to participate along with our music majors in any of these ensembles.
Audition Placement Information for Current Students
Jazz Ensemble Auditions will take place on beginning at 7:00 p.m. The signup sheet for audition times will be posted on Fine Arts Room 144 (Dr. Zifer's office) in the Krannert Hall of Art and Music.
The Audition will consist of:
- Blues Scales (you can use the scale sheet)
- Two Excerpts (see posted PDF's)
- Sight Reading
For further information, contact Dr. Timothy Zifer at email@example.com.
Fall 2021 University Symphony Orchestra Seating Audition
To audition for the University Symphony Orchestra, the musician must play:
- One, two- or three-octave scale of your choice.
- A brief solo (approximately two minutes long.)
- Audition Excerpts (excerpts provided below and all excerpts are marked with RED markers. *)
Note: Violinists wishing to be placed in the first violin section must play the Violin I excerpt and a three-octave scale.
- Monday, August 23, 2021
- Tuesday, August 24, 2021
- By appointment
Audition Signup Deadline: Friday, August 20, 2021
For further information, contact Dr. Chun-Ming Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* If you have trouble seeing the red marks, please download the file and view it with a desktop or a laptop.
The UE Wind Ensemble audition will consist of prepared excerpts, two major scales (one in a flat key, one in a sharp key), chromatic scale (practical range of instrument), and sight reading.
- Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 26, 2021, 3:00 - 5:30 p.m.
Auditions are held in Krannert Hall of Fine Arts, Room 103. Please sign up for an audition on the UE Bands bulletin board, across from FA 103.
For further information, please contact Dr. Kenneth Steinsultz (email@example.com)
Please note: Wind Ensemble will not meet on Thursday, August 26, 2021, due to auditions.
First rehearsal will be Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
For information regarding fall 2021 ensemble placement auditions, please contact:
Dr. Timothy Zifer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Chun-Ming Chen, email@example.com
Dr. Kenneth Steinsultz, firstname.lastname@example.org